Fourteen Top Debt Collection Tips To Help You Get Paid
The most common problem we find with clients is their inability to make those very important collection calls for overdue invoices. Most small businesses struggle with this aspect as usually the person doing the collecting is the person who is doing the work which can make it a little daunting to pick up the phone.
Take a look at our top fourteen tips when making your next collection call
- Make certain you reconcile all payments correctly
- Make certain you and your client understand your trading terms
- Get to know your Debtor – look at the type of debtor and all the debt details before ringing. When do they usually pay their accounts?
- Write down all your questions before ringing the customer – you can be focused and in control
- You can try standing up when you are on the phone talking to the debtor – it is supposed to impart a feeling of increased control
- Try ringing in the morning between 930 and 1130 AM – best time to catch people at their desks
- Ring between Monday and Wednesday – when people can be contacted at their work place
- Try to smile often when you’re talking to the debtor on the phone – it reduces your frustration/ anger levels
- Be firm and convincing (but avoid being hostile and menacing) – the only way to taste success
- Keep a record of the talk – take meaningful notes
- Summarise the important points from the conversation to the debtor – give no room for any misunderstanding
- Firmly believe in the arrangement you have reached – to compromise is to win
- Hang-up as the last person – else you may end up causing negative ‘vibes’
- Be professional in your dealings – Professionals always manage to get the debts cleared
There you have it. Time to start calling.